Group can help people who suffer from all sorts of difficulties; and is a powerful method for working through these issues – at times more effective than individual therapy. In group therapy, people with all kinds of experiences gather for weekly meetings which can be led by myself and sometime another therapist. The groups is open-ended, meaning , as part of the healing opportunity, the group therapy member explores his or her relationships inside the group to better understand important outside relationships and explore their inner relationship with their self. Doing so can often lead to improved self-esteem. Group members will be encouraged (but not forced) to share their own experiences and also give appropriate feedback to others. With the help from myself, group members have the opportunity to try new ways of interacting with others. Group members all commit to keeping group interactions confidential so that the group provides a safe and trusting environment. The group runs on a an ongoing bases.
How is group therapy helpful?
By sharing your experiences and listening to the experiences of others, group can benefit you in a number of ways:
- Receive support and constructive feedback from diferent people committed to helping you. (as opposed to just the therapist)
- Realise that you are not alone with your problems, that other members are often struggling with similar situations and feelings.
- Interactions with other group members and thefacilitator can decrease shame, provide a number of perspectives and options for solving interpersonal problems and promote healing.
- Learn about how you connect with others to gain self -awareness.
- Practice new ways of interacting with others in a safe place. You can think of group as a “social laboratory” in which you can experiment with new ways of relating to people. This may improve your interpersonal relationships outside of group with romantic partners, friends, co-workers, parents, children, and others.
- Increase interpersonal skills such as conflict resolution, reducing social anxiety, and improve your social skills.
- Group therapy can be more cost-effective than individual therapy. Group therapy is offered at a lower price, and longer sessions.
- Many research studies have also shown that group therapy can be as effective as individual therapy and more even effective with certain conditions.
Venue: The Rathgar Consultancy Centre, Top Floor, 8, Orwell Road, Rathgar , Dublin 6
Cost: €420 for a 12 week group (instalment payments available on request)